Brat Sweet Nothings

Random musings of a romance reader
Devyn Quinn Visits Brat Sweet Nothings
Today, we've the pleasure of having goth-erotica author Devyn Quinn with us. Chime in with your questions and comments. One lucky commenter will get to win a choice of Sins of the Night, Sins of the Flesh, Eros Island or Trio! Comments must be posted by 11.59pm PST July 20, 2008.

PS: Due to the adult nature of the books, only those 18 and above may enter the giveaway.


Hi Devyn, welcome! We're very excited and honored to have you here at Brat Sweet Nothings.

Answer: Thanks for welcoming me as a guest to your blog. I appreciate your time.

Q: In keeping with the spirit of the blog, what's the most funny/lovely/memorable/nauseating sweet nothings you've ever received?

Answer: I imagine the answer to that would be when the man who was to become my second husband tied an engagement ring around my cat's collar! The funny thing was, he absolutely hated cats, but accepted them because I loved them.

Q: What is the most bratty or closest to being bratty thing you've ever done?

Answer: The brattiest thing I ever did was dump a drink on a guy who was bothering me in a bar.

Q: Tell us more about yourself. How long have you been published and what genres do you write?

Answer: I've been published since 1995, and I write on the gothic, erotic, paranormal and contemporary genres.

Q: What's the story behind your pseudonym?

Answer: Devyn Quinn is entirely the creation of my New York editor, LOL. She didn't care for other pen names I had written under and we vetted a few ideas until a name stuck.

Q: What are 5 adjectives you'd apply to your writing voice?

Answer: Dark, moody, angsty, twisted and incredible.

Q: What can readers expect or not expect to find in your books?

Answer: Readers can expect to find that my characters are not shiny, happy people. They've got problems, addictions, fears and anxieties-and they usually have a supernatural menace to battle while they are working out their problems.

Q: Series book have been the rage in recent years. Do you like writing series? Which of your books are in series? Can they be read out-of-order?

Answer: I have written books in a series (The Keeper of Eternity, The Price of Eternity), and it's a great way to keep revisiting characters you love. My Kith and Kynn books (Sins of the Flesh, Sins of the Night) are also loosely tied to the Eternity books, as they take place in the same cultic universe. It's better to read them in order, I think.

Q: What was it like getting The Call from New York? How did you react at the time? What did you do to celebrate the occasion?

Answer: I didn't actually get "the call". I got an email from Hilary Sares, making an offer for a 2 book contract. When I got it, I sat and wept like a fool, as I never though the day would come that I would be pubbing in New York. I didn't really do anything to celebrate, since I had to go to work that night.

Q: What are the highs and lows of being a published author? What advice would you give to aspiring authors?

Answer: The high is holding that finished book in your hands. The lows are the struggle to create the book. With job, family, etc.sometime it seems like there are not enough hours in the day to be creative.

The advice I give to aspiring writers is the same I give myself: You have to work hard if you want it badly enough.


Q: What can you tease...ahem, tell us about your forthcoming releases?

Answer: I presently have Embracing Midnight coming up in late Nov 08. In 09, I have three anthologies and two single titles, including a sequel to Flesh and the Devil, titled Man After Midnight, and the first book of a new series with a decidedly demonic theme.

Q: What's the funniest/most embarrassing thing that's ever happened in connection to your writing?

Answer: At my last booksigning, I was propositioned by a very elderly gentleman who assumed that because I wrote "erotic romance" that I must be a hooker. He figured the sex in my books came from experience! I hated to burst his bubble and tell him it's all imagination!

Q: What are you working on now?

Answer: I am on deadline for Man After Midnight.

Q: I understand you have several interesting tattoos. Can you share with us why you decided to get them?

Answer: I love body art and I wanted some for myself. Each tattoo I have means something specific. Most of my tattoos are gothic themed, like my reaper. I have a piece on my back designed around the Eternity series, too.

Q: Tell us something about yourself that would surprise your readers.

Answer: I am terribly shy and very soft spoken.

Q: If you could invite any 3 people (living or dead) to dinner, who would they be and why?

Answer: I would invite Beethoven, the world's greatest composer. I would invite Edgar Poe, the word's greatest gothic writer. And I would invite Marilyn Monroe, the world's most fascinating and tragic woman. Is it strange that I can only think of dead people? Ok, I'd try to fit Johnny Depp in there somewhere!

Q: What is a typical writing day like for you?

Answer: I work to get my 2000 words in. Sometimes I can write in the afternoon, sometimes it's the evening. As long as the 2k gets done, that is all that matters.

Q: When you're not writing, what do you do to relax?

Answer: I rent DVD's of movies I want to see or catch up on my favorite television show, like Lost or Dexter.

Q: Is there a genre you'd like to write in the future that you haven't written yet?

Answer: I'd like to write in romantic suspense.
15 Comments:
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger photoquest said…

    Wonderful interview! I loved the part of your most embarrasing moment with the elderly gentleman thinking you were a hooker. I would've been no good after that lol!! I would love to be entered in to your drawing, i'm new to this site but i am definately going to make this a daily stop to come and check things out. photoquest@bellsouth.net

     
  • At 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with photoquest, that story about the man at the booksigning was quite amusing. I also loved the cover of Embracing Midnight... and it sounds pretty darn good too.

     
  • At 11:36 AM, Blogger Laura K said…

    Holy smoley....that's all I have to say about the excerpts thus far.

    Here's a question to consider...if you could choose an author to collaborate with, who would it be and why?

     
  • At 12:13 PM, Blogger Cathy M said…

    Another great interview, Devyn. I've read Keeper of Eternity, Sins of the Flesh and Price of Eternity so far, and love your writing voice.

     
  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger tetewa said…

    I have all your books but Trio, would love to add to my collection!

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger Fedora said…

    Thanks for the terrific interview, Devyn! I've enjoyed what I've read of your writing so far, and definitely enjoyed your excerpts. BTW, is writing your "day job" now, or do you still have to punch the clock somewhere and then write in your spare time?

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger Asylumgirl said…

    Devyn is such an interesting person, love the tattoos!

    Deidre
    deidre_durance@hotmail.com

     
  • At 4:38 PM, Blogger lrhubble said…

    Very interesting interview. Very inforamative. :-)

    Larena

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Blogger Cheryl McInnis said…

    I loved the story about your ex-husband proposing with the ring around the cat's collar, too cute!
    I loved the pics of your tattoos on your webpage, I would love to get one , but I'm deathly afraid of needles....I am a big wimp, I know. How long did the one on your back take to do, and what was the pain like on a scale of one to 10???

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Sue A. said…

    Hi Devyn! I was worried about the tour for a while, but I knew Jennybrat would save the day!

    Devyn have you ever written or thought of writing an episode for your favorite TV shows like Dexter or LOST?

     
  • At 7:16 PM, Blogger Devyn Quinn said…

    Hi, all, I'll try to answer your questions as I find them:

    Sue, I wouldn't have a a clue how to write a television episode, so I will leave that to the pros, LOL

    Cheryl, that tattoo took three months and a lot of pain to my skin and my pocketbook.

    flchen1, I punch a clock like everyone else. Writing doesn't yet pay all the bills, LOL

    Laura, I'd love to collaborate with Edgar Poe, but he's dead LOL.

     
  • At 9:36 PM, Blogger Anita Yancey said…

    The books sound absolutely wonderful. I would love to read them.
    ayancey@dishmail.net

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger Sheila said…

    HI Devyn,
    Enjoyed reading the interview.:)It's nice to see authors are everyday people.lol I've wanted to get a tattoo by my ankle but have been a chicken of the pain so far. Any advice on how to actually get the tattoo and not chicken out?

     
  • At 1:59 AM, Blogger Amy said…

    I <3 Lost and Dexter, too. How about Heroes and Dead Like Me? Big Love? I have a couple of your books but would love to add to my collection.

    Sheila - as far as not chickening out of the tattoo, from personal experience, it should really mean something to you to get one in the first place. My daughter held my hand the whole time, but it was for the bonding and connection - not squeezing because of the pain. I have a Celtic knot on upper arm that took about three hours. Whatever you do, DON'T get drunk beforehand thinking you won't feel the pain as much. Reputable places won't take the needle to you if you've had too much to drink anyway, but it also makes you bleed more and more difficult to get the colors right.

     
  • At 2:06 PM, Blogger Fedora said…

    "Yet" being the key word, Devyn! Thanks for stopping by, and best wishes for continued success!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

© 2006-2008 Brat Sweet Nothings
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.

 
 

Web This Blog
Subscribe to BSN
Contact Me
Fill in the form below and click 'submit'. Your message will be sent after you verify the code displayed.


Recent Posts
Archives